General cargo ship Dagan. Her original yard model, showing her as she looked in 1954 in a scale of 1:100, is part of our exhibition on modern maritime logistics on deck 6 of the museum.
The general cargo ship Dagan was built at the H. C. Stülcken (Sohn) shipyard in Hamburg, 1954. Her construction was part of the Reparations Agreement between Israel and the Federal Republic of Germany that had been signed in Luxemburg in 1952. 24% of the complete value of the original reparations for the atrocities committed by Nazi Germany against the Jewish people were destined to shipbuilding. This Reparations were a duty due to the „unspeakable crimes committed in the name of the German people“ – how the Shoah was described in 1951 by Konrad Adenauer, first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. The Dagan was built for the Zim Sholah Line from Haifa. The company sold the Dagan in 1969, and she was renamed as Beta. In 1973 she was renamed as Leonidas A. and in 1979 as Cork. Under that name she was operated by Seecon Schiffs from Hamburg. On the 11th of October 1982 she accidentally sunk off the coast of Cuba. Her wreck was raised a few years later and sent for scrapping to Brownesville, Texas, USA.