The steam ferry Sabino (1908). This incredibly detailed 1:75 scale model is part of our permanent exhibition on inland navigation and ferries on deck 9 of the museum. It was built by the model maker Anton Happach.
This little marvel, built of wood and powered by a twin-cylinder Paine compound steam engine, is a true survivor of the Mosquito Fleet of the East Coast of the USA. The term „Mosquito Fleet“ has been used to refer to several large groups of smaller vessels – both naval and civilian – serving the same purpose. In this case, it refers to the many smaller steamers, mostly ferries, that served coastal and inland shipping in the late 19th century and the first decades of the 20th century.
The steamship „Sabino“ was built in 1908 in East Boothbay, Maine, USA. She was designed by the W. Irving Adams‘ shipyard where she was built also. With a length of 17 meters and a beam of less than 7 meters, this bulky beauty is operated by a crew of three and reaches a top speed of 8 knots. Her original name was „Tourist“ and she kept it until 1922, when she was transferred from the Damariscotta River to the Kennebec River. In 1927 she began service in Casco Bay and her structure had to be fitted with sponsons to keep her stable in the somewhat rougher waters. In 1935, when she was already an old-timer, she was transferred to the reserve. In 1958 she was bought by the Corbin family, who had her restored so that she once again met the regulations for passenger transport. In 1971, after many difficulties, she resumed service on the Merrimack River and in 1974 was leased to our colleagues at @mysticseaportmuseum (to whom we send greetings from across the ocean!). The Sabino almost sank on her way to Mystic, but once there, she quickly became popular. That same year, she was purchased by the museum and declared a US National Historic Landmark in 1992. As the oldest steamboat of its kind still in use in the US today, she continues to delight her passengers.
This incredibly detailed 1:75 scale model is part of our permanent exhibition on inland navigation and ferries on deck 9 of the museum. It was built by the model maker Anton Happach.